Tuesday 7 February 2012

Roots, loops and sheds



This layout has four distinct areas. Compared to some of the recent layouts that have been quite intricately woven together Isaac has reverted back to apparent simplicity here. But hidden in there are a couple of complexities that really make it work.

What struck me immediately when I came in were the trees. These are quite a rare feature on Isaac's railways. I assumed that they were decorative elements on three very closely grouped station platforms. When I mentioned this I was told that what I thought were platforms were just Isaac's solution to the fact that the trees kept falling over on the carpet. So remember, if you lack roots there's always Jenga bricks.

The entrance to the repair shed is rather grand today. Not only is approached via  along straight that brings you in high level across a viaduct, but it also has two splendid lamps at the entrance to greet the train's arrival. In contrast the engine shed is more subdued.

I particularly liked the small loop with the tunnel on. At first is seems a bit frivolous, but in fact it serves quite an important purpose of allowing the trains to turn around and face the opposite direction. This is key on a layout where all three branches involve reversing to retrace your route.

Finally, there is the little loop. Isaac's brother built this for mummy. It reminds me of Trevithick's Steam Circus. Maybe we should rename the little black engine the Catch Me If You Can.



No comments:

Post a Comment