Thursday 19 January 2012

More motorway than railway

Isaac dumped the buildings for his latest layout and reinstated the bridges, which have been absent for the last few days. He also made full use of all the points at his disposal. This was one of those layouts that made me wish I was an inch high and could ride it because it looked like a lot of fun.

Isaac has been experimenting a couple of weeks back with a long viaduct. I don't seem to have any photos of it because it only lasted a couple of hours (if I find some I'll add it to this post). He discovered that three Duplo bricks piled up made a perfect hight pier to support the track sections. The problem is that the track moves on the Duplo because there is little friction holding it there. In this layout he returned to the idea, but only for one pier, allowing Isaac to form a fairly long bridge.

The most striking element of this layout is the cloverleaf design at the bottom of the ramp. It is highly fictional allowing trains to direct themselves onto the correct track element with ease and without having to reverse. The only odd element is the turntable, which Isaac still prefers over the cross piece despite its limitations.

Another element that reminded me more of a motorway than a railway was the track running parallel to the bridge. I don't think the photos really do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment