Monday 19 December 2011

Taking the scenic route to bed

Isaac's take on sidings is that they are somewhere for trains to sleep. For Isaac's trains, as for many of us I suspect, there must be days when sleep would be very welcome, but there's a lot of ground to cover before we get there. Today's track was a case in point.

Isaac started off by building the two loops that shared the hump backed bridge in the middle. This amused him for a while before he realised to his horror that there were NO sidings. He quickly added two short sidings. And that would have probably been that normally, but today Isaac was a 4 year old on a mission and that mission was to use as much track as he could. He wanted to extend one of the the sidings to make a third loop and was dismayed to discover he had no more points in the box.

I thought he might dismantle the second siding and do without any, but this would be like having a house with no bedrooms in Isaac's world. So he dug out his crossover and placed it in one of the loops and then proceeded to join the two sections of track up. If it had been me I would have taken the shortest route, but it became clear that this was going to be a very long way to the buffers for Isaac's trains. My sympathy went out to the drivers of the trains, who, at the end of a tiring day, would pass tantalisingly close to their final destination only to realise there was a long detour to make before the came right back to where they started.

After building this track Isaac spent the rest of the day trying out various constructions with his wooden bricks. I have added a close up of his tunnel. He's been attempting to build one of these for a while, but has been thwarted by the soft foundations of the carpet. He resolved this today by using his level crossing, which worked brilliantly.

One small foot note, Daddy finally got a look in as well. No siding for me, but Isaac had a few bits of track left over so I gout a very little circuit all to myself. No photos I'm afraid, but I do feel that I have arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment